Wednesday, July 04, 2007

SL ADD

Ok, I admit it... I'm going through a rather large case of SL ADD. I'm working on a million things but not really getting anything done. And this post is really random and totally unorganized... sorry about that.

Working on:

- Few outfits to release but haven't taken pictures -- because I might wait...

- Working on and off on a new version of my skins -- as a side: they're looking really good so far. I've yet to do any makeup, but I'm liking the body so much better. Still TONS of work to do on em, so not even gonna try to put on approx. date of release on em yet.

- Been working on and off on a new store -- so much to say about this one...read on! :)


First: I still really love the current store. At the same time I'm anxious for a change. The new store build is difficult because I kinda have to "live up" to the current one. That pressure is kinda messy with the whole creative process.

Second: I think deleting the current store is the only way to go. Am I willing to just poof it? Linking it all/selecting it all and taking it into inventory would be a major pain. Is there even any point to keeping it? I mean, I really doubt once I got rid of it that I would ever use it again. Then again, I do really love it and it would be a shame just to delete it.

Third: I've been tossing around the idea of changing permissions on all my things to copy/mod/NO transfer. I really don't know how, you guys, the customers would feel about this. I've read a bunch of forum posts, on all sorts of forums. It seems split totally down the center of who prefers what perms. The survey I did a few months ago was pretty well split down the middle too. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

There's a few good points and bad points of copy/mod/no transfer -- Issues with missing inventory wouldn't matter anymore! Had an outfit you bought two months or two minutes ago...if it poofs from that inventory of yours it'll be replaced.

Mixing and matching (woot!) and more robust options -- Since things would be copy I could do future outfits with more options. For example a new bathing suit could now be offered on ALL clothing layers OR a shirt could come with a few different sleeve length options. The reason they lack these "perks" right now is because of the Transfer option. Plus Mixing and Matching! Need I say more about that? So many of my outfits mixed up look awesome!

So there's the obvious good points of no transfer items. Here's the bad things: no more recycling of clothes. You're stuck with the outfit. You wont be able to give items to that cute newb or your friend.

Buying gifts for other people wouldn't be done the same way anymore. If I were to go no transfer I would employ an automatic gift card system. One that works instantly -- no waiting for me to fill your gift card order. So I suppose this is good and bad. I don't currently have gift cards but all my stuff is trans.

So then I got to thinking... perhaps I'd offer BOTH permission's. For example have the poster - then under it two littler posters with both options copy/mod/no transfer and no copy/mod/transfer. Thing about that is then suddenly every outfit takes three prims instead of one. So really not sure how feasible this is at all.

Last thing about the store: I'd like to have my new skins ready at the same time as the new store. It'll just be easier to incorporate the new skin posters into the new build. Then I should probably wait on releasing all new goodies too.

Ok, almost time to stop blabbering. I have to decide what to do about the new store vs. old store. Then I have to decide what to do about the permission's thing. Then I can get over my SL ADD and get stuff done!

So I dunno what to do!

2 comments:

Carissa Crimson said...

Hi Nyte! Wow...you are scattered, but I'm sure just typing this post and getting it all out of your head probably helped.

I'm no expert at anything, but I wanted to hold your hand, assure you that we all adore you and maybe offer something helpful (or not so helpful) advice.

Poof the store. My first house was a build that my hubby and I worked on for weeks straight. We loved it, our friends loved it, but then I wanted a change. We started trying to link it to stuff it in a rezzer, but WHAT A PAIN IN THE PATOOTIE!!! I was so scared up to the point that we actually destroyed it...but you know what? It's only prims, and I felt a huge relief afterwards and went merrily on my way finding something new.

I'm all for no transfer, but I'm a mix and matcher. I used to whine about my no transfer stuff until I realize how much more versatile they make my inventory. If you're worried about mutiny and prim bloat, perhaps take a queue from Miriel Enfield's jewelry store. Her vendor boards are scripted to give you the choice of item permissions after you buy.

It will work out. Just make a decision and run with it. I'm certain that whichever route you choose will be great.

P.S. Can't WAIT to see the new skins!

*HUGS!*
Carissa Crimson
M2 Fashion Angel

Tigerlily Koi said...

Here's my .02L. (Not sure it's worth that much, but here it is anyway.)

I personally really love transfer clothing. No trans makes me sad. I wear an outfit a few times, and then pass it on to some noob who's wandering around with that horrible purple sweater. It doesn't cost me anything, it's just sitting taking up space in my inventory, I've already worn it until I've moved on to something else. (Darn all you fabulous clothing designers for enabling me to wear a new outfit every day!)

That said, I believe I still have 99% of my Nyte 'n' Day purchases. Trying to offer both perms would be a mess, not only for you, but for other people too. (i.e. "I meant to buy the transfer copy and accidentally clicked the wrong box and now I have this dress I'm never going to wear since I'm a guy, can you give it to my girlfriend for me since I already paid for it?)

Do whatever works best for you and makes your life easier. You can always change your mind later!